Baroka Sends Downs Crashing Out

November 05, 2018

Mamelodi Sundowns were left stunned after they lost 1-0 to Baroka in the quarter-finals of the Telkom Knockout on Saturday.

There was a good tempo in the first 15 minutes of the encounter, although both teams couldn’t find the final pass in the last third.

Gaston Sirino had the first chance of the match in the 19th minute after going through on the right side of the box but his lofted effort was saved by Bakgaga goalkeeper Elvis Chipezeze.

Baroka were then awarded a penalty in the 22nd minute after Mosa Lebusa was adjudged to have handled the ball inside the box. Mduduzi Mdantsane made no mistake from the penalty spot, giving the home side the lead, 1-0.

Sirino had a chance to level matters for Masandawana on the half-hour mark after he was given space just outside the box, but his effort sailed just over the crossbar.

Matsemela Thoka’s charges were disciplined at back and did well to restrict Sundowns to efforts from distance as they went into the break leading by the one goal.

Sundowns came out more threatening from the halftime break, while Sirino was the biggest influence for the visitors going forward.

Lyle Lakay almost got the equaliser for the Brazilians two minutes before the hour-mark with a strike at close range on the left side of the six-yard box, but he was denied by Chipezeze.

Lebusa committed another error in the 68th minute after he deflected a cross from the right wing by Matome Kgoetyane into the box, where goalkeeper Reyaad Pieterse could only help the ball into the back of his own net in a vain attempt to keep it out, 2-0.

Aubrey Ngoma almost pulled a goal back for the Brazilians seven minutes before time, unleashing a powerful half-volley from outside the box that was reaching for the top corner, but Chipezeze made a fantastic save.

Bakgaga had chances to make it 3-0 in stoppage time with the Brazilians going forward in numbers, but they were not clinical enough as Mosimane’s men crashed out of the competition.