Chiefs Advance TKO Semis

November 05, 2018

Ramahlwe Mphahlele’s stunning goal guided Kaizer Chiefs to a 1-0 win over SuperSport United to advance to the Telkom Knockout semi-finals.

Giovanni Solinas made one change from the side that lost to Orlando Pirates, with Siphelele Ntshangase making way for George Maluleka.

The half’s biggest talking occurred after just eight minutes when goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune handled outside of the box, but was only given a yellow card.

Teboho Mokoena came close to giving United the lead a minute later from the resultant free-kick from just outside the box, but his effort was saved by Khune at the bottom corner.

Willard Katsande was denied by the upright in an attempt to get the opening goal for Chiefs in the 15th minute after he latched onto a loose ball in the centre of the box.

The Glamour Boys’ persistence paid off after they were awarded a penalty eight minutes before halftime after Mphahlele was brought down inside the box, but Katsande could not capitalise as his spot-kick came off the crossbar.

Seconds later, Mphahlele saved Katsande’s blushes as he broke the deadlock for Amakhosi six minutes before the break with a sensational volley from difficult angle that left Ronwen Williams with no chance.

James Keene had an opportunity to level matters for United a minute into the second stanza after finding space in the Chiefs central defence, but his low shot after just entering the box was smothered by Khune.

The game got scrappy after the hour-mark, with neither side having the momentum in attack while Chiefs were let down by their decision-making in the final third.

Modiba had a chance to get United back into the game 20 minutes before time after latching onto a mistake at the back, but he could not find the target with a low left footed strike from the left side of the box.

The Tshwane giants were probing for the equaliser in the last ten minutes but their final delivery was letting them down, while Solinas introduced the likes of Philani Zulu and Daniel Cardoso to close up shop.

Matsatsantsa had the momentum in the closing minutes, but Amakhosi were playing with a reinforced defence and managed to hold on for victory.