Hot and Sour Chicken Soup
Looking for a more creative starter to serve at an upcoming dinner party?
Look no further! This delicious soup is full of exotic and tasty flavours, allowing you to show off your skills as a chef.
6 cups chicken liquid stock
2 whole star anise
1 cinnamon stick
4cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
2 x 200g chicken breast fillets
4cm piece fresh ginger, extra, peeled, cut into matchsticks
2 shallots, thinly sliced
2 red chillies, seeded (optional), thinly sliced
1 cup bean sprouts
1 cup mint leaves
1 cup coriander leaves
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1. Place a large saucepan over high heat. Add the chicken stock, anise, cinnamon stick, ginger, lemongrass and chicken breasts. Bring to a simmer.
2. Reduce to low heat, and cook for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the soup is fragrant. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken to a bowl. Set it aside to cool enough for you to touch it.
3. Use a fork to finely shred the chicken. Then, in a medium bowl, combine the extra ginger, shallots, lime leaves, chilli, bean sprouts, mint and coriander.
4. Strain the stock mixture through a sieve, and discard the solids. Add the lime juice and fish sauce to the stock mixture. Season with more juice and sauce, if necessary.
5. Arrange the shredded chicken in soup bowls. Ladle the soup over the chicken.